Foreclosure Prevention Clinics
The Center’s foreclosure prevention legal clinics in Hartford and Fairfield County are open to any homeowner facing foreclosure. No pre-registration is required. There is no charge.
Clinic participants receive information about the judicial foreclosure and mediation process, guidance on how to prepare and what documents to bring to court, and information about resources available to homeowners. Each clinic includes presentations by a representative of the state’s Department of Banking and a foreclosure mediation specialist from the state’s Judicial Branch.
All participants receive a copy of the Center’s publication, “Representing Yourself in Foreclosure: A Guide for Connecticut Homeowners.” Participants also have the opportunity to meet one-on-one with volunteer attorneys and paralegals to discuss their situations.
The Center’s partners in presenting the foreclosure prevention clinics include the University of Hartford’s Paralegal Studies program, Homes Saved By Faith, Bridgeport Mayor Bill Finch, Stamford Mayor David Martin, and Norwalk Mayor Harry Rilling.
Where and When
Fairfield County clinics generally are held on the third Wednesday of every month, from 6:00-8:30 p.m., at a city government building. Hartford clinics generally are held on the third Tuesday of every month, from 5:30-8:00 p.m., at a University of Hartford building. Click here for a list of upcoming clinic dates, times, locations and directions.
The Center also presents information about foreclosure prevention at orientations given to homeowners by professional housing counselors. These orientations take place in Bridgeport, New Haven, Waterbury, New Britain, and Norwich. They require pre-registration and include a short talk on the foreclosure and mediation process by a Center representative. The orientations are usually held in the evening. More information is available:
- For New Haven, call Neighborhood Housing Services of New Haven at (203) 562-0598 (The orientation in New Haven is usually held on the 2nd Tuesday of each month. In addition, an orientation is usually held each quarter in Meriden on a Tuesday evening.)
- For Waterbury, call Neighborhood Housing Services of Waterbury at (203) 753-1896 (The orientation is usually held on the 3rd Thursday of each month.)
- For New Britain, call Neighborhood Housing Services of New Britain at (860) 224-2433 (The orientation is usually held on the 2nd Thursday of each month.)
- For Norwich and Gales Ferry (Ledyard), call Catholic Charities at (860) 889-8346 (The orientation in Norwich is usually held on the 3rd Tuesday of each month, and the orientation in Gales Ferry is usually held on the 1st Tuesday of each month.)
- For Bridgeport, call Bridgeport Neighborhood Trust of Bridgeport at (203) 290-4255 (The orientation is usually held on the 2nd Wednesday of each month.)
* For information about our manual for self-represented borrowers, “Representing Yourself in Foreclosure: A Guide for Connecticut Homeowners,” click here.