Legal Internship/Externship Program

The Connecticut Fair Housing Center offers students the opportunity to gain experience working on litigation and policy research at a non-profit law firm dedicated to ensuring equal access to housing opportunities. Image shows a word cloud related to internships, such as students, internship, experience, professional The Center maintains an active litigation caseload of trial-level, appeal, and administrative cases at both the state and federal level. Interested law students should apply, as below.

Depending on need and interest, students will work on either housing discrimination or foreclosure prevention and fair lending cases, or they will be assigned to other special projects as needed. Students demonstrating a commitment to social justice and civil rights issued are encouraged to apply. Students representing diverse backgrounds also are encouraged to apply.


The Center seeks legal interns with a strong commitment to social justice and civil rights to assist in all stages of its fair housing enforcement practice, foreclosure prevention litigation, and public policy advocacy and research. All work is done under the supervision of an attorney. Responsibilities will vary, but generally include some or all of the following:

  • Legal research & writing
  • Drafting complaints and other pleadings/memoranda
  • Client contact, including interviewing potential clients, evaluating claims, and making recommendations to staff on legal options
  • Observing and helping prepare for court arguments, settlement negotiations, and mediations
  • Outreach and education – attending events and developing material
  • All summer interns will have the opportunity to represent homeowners facing foreclosure in-court through the Center’s “attorney for the day” project.

Schedules are flexible, but the Center generally seeks a weekly commitment of 10-15 hours during the school year and 30-35 hours during the summer.

To Apply:
Please email your resume to: Pamela Heller, Staff Attorney, at

If you would like to receive academic credit, please check with your school for requirements and approval. Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis.

If you have any questions, call the Center at (860) 560-8197.

Translate »